Thursday, August 25, 2005

Lesson 1

I still cannot grasp the fullness of Christ. But yesterday short bible study with Annette gave me a glimpse into Christ life… of what kind of person is he…?...of how he reacts to the situation around him….? …does he ever lose his temper or lose control?

She gave some insight of Christ.. which I had never seen before, but had heard of people talking about. Hearing from them, couldn’t make me understand fully. They said that Jesus is compassionate, kind, loving… and etc. Sometimes they provide examples to it. But I still couldn’t really comprehend it. I just listened and believed, even though sometimes I can’t see it.

Somehow, studying these simple scriptures with Annette gave me a better view of who Christ is than what I had ever known. I couldn’t really describe it. But it feels great. She managed to point out little stuff that He did, which explains His characteristic.

The passage is from John 2:13-25 (Jesus Cleanses the Temple)

Questions she asked:

1) Why did he make a whip out of cords?

2) Why did he ask those sellers to take the doves out of the temple, instead of driving it out like the way he chase the sheep and the cattle?

3) Why does he react now, at this particular time, but not earlier? (The selling of sheep, cattle and doves had been going on for a long time. And he has been to the temple for Passover celebration since young)

4) What motivated his actions? And what was his concern?

And of course, there were more questions; I’m just listing down those questions that really struck d me :D

mmm…I’m still crawling… :)

4 comments:

Sivin Kit said...

one of the earlier books that challenged me was "The Jesus I Never Knew" by Philip Yancey. But nothing beats reading the Gospels in the New Testament again (and again).

Once you are hungry I'll introduce you to more :-)

eechia said...

aha, ps sivin, I'm having "The Jesus I Never Knew" with me now. Was supposed to read, but have not. :D Borrowed from a fren :D

gim said...

Yea you 'borrowed' from chern liang for sooo many months edi. Hehe. But yea Jesus I Never Knew is one of my favourite books. I recommend Just Wondering, and What's So Amazing About Grace, also by Philip Yancey to start you off on your journey to question Christianity till you are convinced.

eechia said...

gim, where got 'soooo many months'.err.. 2 months only maa :"> eh, you finished reading the book liao? u just bought the book rite? ;p